King's College Medical School is founded.
King’s College would later become Columbia University.
The College of Physicians and Surgeons (P&S) is chartered by the New York State Board of Regents.
P&S would merge with the medical faculty of Columbia College in 1814.
Presbyterian Hospital is founded by James Lenox, a New York City philanthropist.
Lenox also helped create the New York Public Library system. His gifts included land for the original hospital site and donations totaling $600,000.
Presbyterian Hospital appoints Margaret Galt Boise as a nurse anesthetist.
Trained by Florence Henderson in ether anesthesia, Boise collaborates with Hugh H. Young to create the Boise-Young anesthesia apparatus.
Nurse Anna Penland joins Presbyterian Hospital's surgical team, which goes to France during WWI.
Upon her return, she becomes chief anesthetist at Presbyterian Hospital and serves in that role until 1938.
Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center (CPMC) is established.
It is the first medical center to combine patient care, medical education, and research facilities in a single complex.
Virginia Apgar becomes the director of the new Division of Anesthesiology at CPMC.
She would go on to create the Apgar Score for establishing the health of newborns, which is still in use today. Apgar served as director until 1949.
Apgar publishes "Experience with Pontocaine Spinal Anesthesia."
This is the first research paper published by a member of the CPMC anesthesiology service.
The U.S. Army's 2nd General Hospital is staffed by Presbyterian Hospital doctors and nurses.
First deployed to England and then France, the staff includes Elmer Sanders, MD, and RNs Dorothy Reichling and Janet Hopkins.
E. M. Papper is appointed attending anesthesiologist and executive officer at CPMC.
Under Papper, the anesthesiology service has 32 physicians and four nurse anesthetists.
Virginia Apgar becomes the first professor of anesthesiology at P&S.
She is also the first woman to become a professor at the college.
The Department of Surgery's Division of Anesthesiology is granted independent department status.
The change creates only the fourth such department in the nation. E. M. Papper becomes the Department of Anesthesiology's first chair.
The Black Medical Research Building opens.
This new facility quadruples the department's research space. One year later, the department expands to a staff of 65.
Shih-Hsun Ngai is appointed chair of anesthesiology.
Ngai spends almost his entire professional career at CUMC’s Department of Anesthesiology as a distinguished clinician, scientist, teacher, and mentor.
Henrik Bendixen becomes chair of anesthesiology.
Bendixen focuses on education, the expansion of services into the ICU and pain centers, and promotes the use of the pulse oximeter and capnograph.
Allen Hyman serves as interim chair of the department.
Hyman later establishes the Allen I. Hyman History of Anesthesia Lecture Series.
The E. M. Papper Chair is established.
Papper served as chair of the Department of Anesthesiology from 1952 to 1969.
Edward D. Miller is appointed department chair.
Miller, who served until 1996, greatly expanded the department's research efforts through increased funding.
The Henrik H. Bendixen Professorship of Anesthesiology is established for the vice-chair of research.
Mieczyslaw Finster serves as interim chair of anesthesiology until 1996.
Finster also serves as acting director of Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center’s anesthesiology service.
Margaret Wood is named chair of anesthesiology.
She oversees a process of further specialization and expansion of the department.
The department celebrates its 50th anniversary.
The Ngai Jubilee Chair is established for the vice-chair of education.
The Henrik H. Bendixen Professorship of Anesthesiology is established for the vice-chair of clinical affairs.
Grand opening of the Margaret Wood Center for Simulation and Education.
Ansgar Brambrink is named chair of anesthesiology.
An internationally renowned expert in brain injury, Brambrink specializes in clinical care, research, and educational aspects of anesthesia and has expanded the global presence of the department through outreach.