Marc L. Dickstein, MD
- Professor of Anesthesiology at CUMC
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
Connect Patient Portal
For existing patients, login to make an appointment, view documentation or contact your care provider.
- Great West (National)
- Medicare Managed Care
- Essential Plan
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Medicare Managed Care
- Select Care (Exchange)
- Local 1199
- Traditional Medicare
- Special Needs
- Columbia University Employee Plan
- Compass (Exchange)
- Empire Plan
- Medicare Managed Care
- Workers Comp-Board of NY
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Internship: Montefiore Hospital
- Residency: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
- Fellowship: Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, NY
Honors & Awards
Academy of Clinical Excellence
Virginia Apgar Teaching Academy
Distinguished Teaching Award, P&S, 2012 (awarded by the medical school graduating class)
Distinguished Teaching Award, P&S, 2010 (awarded by the medical school graduating class)
Teacher of the Year Award, P&S, 2009 (awarded by 1ST-year medical students)
Columbia University Presidential Award for Outstanding Teaching, 2006
Teacher of the Year Award, P&S, 2005 (awarded by 1ST-year medical students)
Teacher of the Year Award, P&S, 2003 (awarded by 1ST-year medical students)
Gender Equity Teaching Award, 2003
Charles W. Bohmfalk Memorial Prize for Distinguished Contributions to Teaching in the Preclinical Sciences, 2002
Teacher of the Year Award, P&S, 2001 (awarded by 1ST-year medical students)
Chief Resident in Anesthesiology, 1990–1991 Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital, New York, N.Y
Magna Cum Laude, University of Pennsylvania, 1983
Cardiovascular physiology Right heart function Simulation technology
- Dickstein ML. The Starling Relationship and Veno-Arterial ECMO: Ventricular distension explained. ASAIO J. 2018 Jul/Aug;64(4):497-501
- Chicotka S, Burkhoff D, Dickstein ML, Bacchetta M. Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for End-Stage Interstitial Lung Disease With Secondary Pulmonary Hypertension at Rest and Exercise: Insights From Simulation Modeling. ASAIO J. 2018 Mar/Apr;64(2):203-210
- The 2013 International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation Guidelines for mechanical circulatory support: executive summary. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2013 Feb;32(2):157-87
- Klotz S,Hay I,Dickstein ML,Yi GH,Wang J,Maurer M,Kass D,Burkhoff D.Single beat estimation of the end-diastolic pressure-volume relationship: a novel method with the potential for noninvasive application.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol.2006.
- Dickstein ML.Con: Inhaled Prostaglandin as a Pulmonary Vasodilator instead of Nitric Oxide. J Cardio Vasc Anesth 19(3):403-405,2005.
- Klotz S,Foronjy RF,Dickstein ML,Danser AHJ,Gu A,Oz MC,D`Armentio J,Burkhoff D,\Mechanical Unloading During LVAD Support Increases Left Ventricular Collagen Cross-linking and Myocardial Stiffness. Circulation,2005 Jul 19;112(3):364-74,2005.
- Heerdt PM,Dickstein ML.Regulation and assessment of cardiac function; an integrative view In Hemmings HH,Hopkins P (eds) Scientific Foundations of Anesthesiology,Second Edition.St.Louis,MO.Mosby 2005.
- Skubas N,Dickstein ML,Hogue CW Jr.Anesthesia for Heart and Lung Transplantation.Harvard Education Anesthesia Library.Bailin,M (Ed).Lippincott,Inc,Philadelphia,PA ,Chapter 7,2002.
- Bigham M,Dickstein ML,Hogue CW Jr.Anesthesia for heart and lung transplantation.In: Cardiac Anesthesia: Principles and Clinical Practice (2nd Ed),pp.637-662.Edited by Estafanous,Barasch,Reves,Lippincott Williams and Wilkins,Philadelphia,2001.
- Dickstein ML,Mets B,Heath MJS: Anesthetic Considerations During Left Ventricular Assist Device Implantation. In: Cardiac Assist Devices,pp.63-74. Edited by Goldstein,Futura Publishing Co.,Inc.,New York,2000.
- Dickstein ML: Anesthesia for heart transplantation.Seminars in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia 2(2):131-139,1998.
- Dickstein ML,Todaka K,Burkhoff D: Left-to-right systolic and diastolic ventricular interactions are dependent on right ventricular volume.Am J Physiol. 272(6 Pt 2):H2869-74,1997.
- Dickstein ML,Spotnitz HM,Rose EA,Burkhoff D: Heart reduction surgery: an analysis of the impact on cardiac function. J Thoracic Cardiovasc Surgery 113:1032-40,1997.
- Heerdt PM,Dickstein ML: Assessment of right ventricular function.Seminars in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia 1(3):214-224,1997.
- Dickstein ML,Burkhoff D: A theoretical analysis of the effect of pulmonary vasodilation on pulmonary venous pressure: implications for inhaled nitric oxide therapy. J Heart Lung Transplant,15:715-21,1996.